Titanium Molecular Etching (TiME)
ACE has pioneered a new process, Titanium Molecular Etching (TiME), for etching Titanium.Titanium is renowned for its strength, light-weight properties and high temperature performance, however Titanium Etching is difficult due to the fact that titanium rapidly forms a protective oxidised coating when exposed to air; a coating that is exceptionally hard to dissolve. Traditionally, Hydrofluoric Acid (HF) has been used as the preferred etchant for chemical etching of Titanium, because of its ability to remove this oxide layer but it is a highly toxic material and one to be avoided if possible!
Advanced Chemical Etching has developed a new, unique safer chemistry that takes Titanium Etching to new levels of quality and precision. We are one of the few etching companies in the world that can offer titanium etching on a production scale.
ACE has vastly increased the processing speeds and etch rate of Titanium, the ACE chemistry has a higher etching capacity. This is still one of the only safer etchants for etching Titanium and is unique to ACE.
Benefits of Titanium Molecular Etching (TiME)
- New levels of quality achievable
- Smooth edge profile and smooth surface etch profile. No Surface Burr
- New Tighter Tolerance Standards
- ±10% of material thickness… equal to tolerances achievable with other basic metals
- High Aspect Ratios
- 1:1 aperture aspect ratio possible (0.2mm thick with 0.2mm lines and spaces and 0.2mm diameter holes)
- Flexible Process
- Production Process for Titanium etching
- Suitable for etching all known grades and hardness of Titanium and a number of its alloys
- Compliant Process
- Thicknesses currently being processed are from 0.025mm (0.001”) up to 1.0mm (0.039”)
- Safer Process
- Safer chemistry reduces personal and environmental risk
Please contact ACE today for additional information on our Titanium Etching / TiME capabilities.